It seems like every day they figure something else out.
Tucker learned how to pull a toy behind him. Then, once he figured it out, he ran around the house laughing hysterically that something is following him. He also may be a storyteller. Too soon to tell, but every time we go outside to play, the first thing he does is have this running dialog about the flowers. I don't know about what, but I tried to get it on video. The dialog was cut short of course as soon as he saw mommy was in the perfect position to hug. He likes to splash his hand in the puddles in the driveway and then lick his hand. So gross. But at least he is not licking the puddles directly like the dogs.
Tucker has a typical boy forehead. Covered in bruises. He has a lot more than his big sis. I'm not sure if it is because he is so top heavy with that big noggin of his, or if it is because he is a boy. I remember hearing stories about Scout camp and also wondering how it is that boys seem to have all this knowledge about stuff way sooner than they should. For example, why was it that my 16 old friend, who was the same age as I was, knew so much about building, painting, mowing lawns, burning fires, guns, or fixing bikes/cars? I think I have finally figured out the connection between the knowledge/experience that these high school friends of mine had, and scout camp. They just tried stuff out. That is why they knew how important the safety lock is on a gun, how to get a roaring blaze so quickly, or fix a broken bike/car. And I think they had a lot of these trying things out experiences with their leaders' supervision. Hence the hair raising stories from scout camp that I never really heard until I was around 22 or so, once they had moved out of said mom's house for real and couldn't get grounded. Tucker already does it. "Hmmmmm... What would happen if I tried to climb over this rock that is taller than I am? Or what if I try to go off the steps just like Mom and Dad do? Or throw this rock really hard?" Forget reading the manual or let Mom show you what to do. Just try it out. Owner's manuals are completely overrated (except for my brother Ryan).
In contrast, Whitney figures things out after watching her brother, finding a safe, sometimes easier way of doing things. For example, we went to the park this week. The playground had two ways to climb to the slide. The more gradual slope, and safer way for try-it-out boys, and a more direct, steeper route. Mom was not about to demonstrate for Tucker that the faster way was even an option. But Whitney figured it out and tested her limits before putting all her weight on that foot. She also figured out how to navigate into the flower beds. Much easier to go between the rocks, instead of over them directly. No pain and she didn't even need my help.
Another thing she does that is really cute is say hi to Papa! I don't know if she is actually saying the words, but it sounds like she is saying hi whenever someone comes into the room. It can be any one of us. She gets a big smile and says hi. I love it when she does it when Jim's truck starts pulling into the driveway or when Tucker comes over to her crib in the morning. She also gives me hugs when I'm down low. I've been doing a lot of weeding while the babies play outside. She is constantly collecting rocks then coming over to give me a hug. She even helped me weed a bit today by picking stuff out between the rocks (pine needles) and putting it in the bucket. She also throws pine cones she collects around the yard in the bucket. Tonight for bath I asked for her foot and she smiled, laughed and lifted her foot out of the water so I could wash it. She loves the Foot Book by Dr. Seuss. We've been reading that one a lot this week, so maybe that's why she knows that word. So cute to first time Mommy.
My favorite embarrassing moment for Whitney this week was that she figured out how to pick her nose. It was at breakfast one morning. Tucker has had this skill down pat for months now, but for some reason that day, Whitney figured it out. So then Tucker saw her and thought, "oh yeah! Good idea! I know how to do that too!" And joined the fun. Whatever. I just ask him repeatedly to take his finger out of his nose. In Spanish, so only half the population around me understands me. One of the benefits of knowing a second language.
So that's what they've been up to, allowing me to get stuff done, like paint and weed. I'll probably still be doing that next week, too. Sorry if you read stuff that I've put on the blog before. The weeks run together for some reason......
No comments:
Post a Comment