Monday, May 28, 2012

more big fish

Whitney being cute.  Tucker pushing the bike trailer

they though this up themselves

I'm finally getting the "big fish" videos up.  I'm pretty sure this thing is getting more mileage in the house than in any lake or pool.  Something you learn only in a rainy place.  Oh yeah.  That reminds me.  Another thing I've learned is that bubbles don't pop if the driveway is wet.  I can blow lots of bubbles and the babies can stomp on the bubbles when they land.

This is also another toy that got resurrected this week.  But I had to take it away because Tucker hogged it most of the afternoon.  But.  I also found out that Tucker likes play dough.  He was sitting just like this (there is a plastic chair inside this tube ) when i opened up the cabinet to get the play dough out.  He fell over, whacked his head on the cabinet, but didn't have time to cry because he wanted to get to the play dough before Whitney. 

She only got through the first two pages of the first book before falling asleep with her hand in the book.

Tucker with the Mr potato head glasses on.  He has the bib on because Whitney put it on him herself.  He was patient and let her do it.

Whitney was pretty impressed with herself.  She asked me to take this picture.  She mastered how to climp up and then back into these tubes this week.

These sleeping pics are going to become very rare from here on out.

Isn't this so delicious?

more deliciousness

Tucker parking his cars on the piano.  He is starting to line things up.  He was playing "bump, bump" on the piano then parking them, just like the parking lots.
Every day I'm understanding Tucker better.  I've realized in the past couple of days that he's got the pretend play thing going really strong.  This morning he was pushing his dump truck full of balls around.  I sat down to play with him and he smiled then said " Buscamos el playground". He then started driving his truck around saying "donde esta el playground" over and over until he pushed his truck to where most of the rest of the balls were.  Then he started pulling out different colored balls and giving them turns on the swing, which was his arm swinging with the ball in hand.

He is also really getting an opinion about what he wears at times, too.  Just like Whitney.  On Sunday I pulled out two Sunday shirts to give him a choice of which one, but he started screaming.  I couldn't guess why, so I just picked one and tried to put it on.  He took it off.  Then he wadded it up, opened up the closet, threw it in a "secret" place and slammed the closet door shut.  He finally stopped screaming and pointed to another (thankfully) Sunday shirt.  Apparently he wanted that one.

I think the reason the terrible twos phrase has been invented is because they don't sleep enough, so they just don't know what they want.  But they do know it must be something other than what their parents want.  Whitney does this thing that drives me up the wall.  She asks me for something, usually in a nice voice, and so I give it to her.  But then when I give it to her, she doesn't want it.  So I take it away.  Then she screams because she really wants it.........   This can go on for up to 5 cycles no problem.  I haven't tried more because I get annoyed.  But seriously.  What is that about? I've noticed the frustrations of being two and melt downs come on days they don't nap.  Which are most days.  They do take a nap about once a week, though.

 I haven't decided which is worse.  Taking a nap or not taking a nap.  This week they both asked for "sleepy sleepy" two days in a row, so I decided to let them sleep for a good amount of time.  I woke Tucker up one day after he had been sleeping for 3 hours.  It was like I woke him up in the middle of the night.  Lots of screaming upon awakening, but he still went to sleep around 9:15, which has been his normal on a nap day for several months now.  (don't worry.  We're not crazy.  He's in bed an hour before that, just sings to himself).  But the second day that week they both asked for "sleepy sleepy" must have been an unnecessary nap.  I woke him up after 2 hours, but he still cried for another 45 minutes, like I was waking him up in the middle of the night.  And then he played in his crib until 10 pm that night.  That is ridiculous.  He may not be bothering us, but 10 pm!!!!  Then he woke up at 6:30, regular time the next day.  Needless to say, the next day was exhausting keeping him up until 7 pm, but now the melt down time is more around 5:30 pm instead of 4, so it's getting closer to his actual bedtime of 7.  And that is pretty nice.  Especially since it is pretty light around here until 9 pm.

We had a fabulous weekend, though.  All sleep times considered.  Saturday Daddy went dirt biking, then Mommy went kayaking when he got back.  So awesome!  Today was relaxing, too.  Daddy took the babies to the store.  I got so much done on projects I've had sitting for forever.  And they were only gone 2 hours, but it felt like a whole day.  Which meant I had a lot more fun just playing with them before and after.  Like Tucker and the dump truck.  Or when Whitney and I played sidewalk chalk. 

She invented things she wanted me to draw until we had the whole driveway filled up.  Then she colored things in while Tucker drove the bike trailer over them saying "aplasta" (Smash) over and over.  We also went to the playground as a family, which was nice.  It was great one on one time for them because they could do their own thing without having to stay together all the time as well as have a parent follow them around.

Jim is good at inventing games for them.  Yesterday he drew a bunch of sidewalk chalk circles in the driveway so Whitney and Tucker could jump from each one.  I heard Whitney talking to Jim about it this morning, which was pretty cute.  He also has them run between us.  So we stand in one spot while they run back and forth between us trading parents.  He usually flips them around.  I usually give them a hug and kiss.  It works out great.  They get lots of energy out.  And...... Tucker can totally keep up without stopping, coughing or slowing down, thanks to asthma meds.  I love that!

This week I brought out the balls again.  It was great.  They pushed them up and down the halls in boxes.  Tucker has entertained himself for long periods of time in various ways.  He fills his dump truck, then dumps them out.  He pushes them over speed bumps in the house while in his dump truck.  He loads his dump truck and throws them one by one down the stairs, then goes downstairs and loads them in the dump truck, only to start the process over again.  One day he and Whitney played for an hour just by team work.  Whitney stood in the crib while he threw them all in.  Then she threw them all out.  He figured out that the smaller balls can stay stuck between the crib rails if he throws them just hard enough and had a whole bunch stuck midway down his crib rails. I got a ton done with all this.  But after I was done, I asked if they wanted to go outside and they said no!  Crazy because we don't get as much outside time here as I would like.  Those 130 balls are awesome sometimes.

Whitney continues to be a little helper.  I was walking down the hall, carrying her, one morning.  I'm doing much better, but still cough a bunch in the mornings and evenings.  So I started coughing while I carried her and she covered my mouth for me.  She was watching me cook on the stove and told me to turn on the light so I could see.  And I rarely turn that light on, but she was right, I could see better.

Thursday we went to the park in the rain anyway, but I was glad we did.  There were some ducklings on the pond!  No one else was there, so they were desperate enough to see if we had food, and we got an up close look.  Whitney started saying big one and baby one, pointing to the different ducks.  Then, when we got home, she was eating avocado.  When she got down to the last bits, she started calling them baby avocados and that "Whitney wants to eat the baby avocados".

They like to make each other and Mommy laugh.  Tucker put on the the Mr Potato Head glasses on himself, then came running in to show me, laughing hysterically.  Whitney put a lid in one of those toys that pop open.  When you push the button and the toy pops open, the lid comes flying out, up into the air.  She came running in to show me then said "Whitney funny!" and laughed some more.

Well,  that should be enough, Mom, to tide you over until Thur.  See you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment