Sunday, October 24, 2010

getting settled

Whitney was congested last night, so after I had been up with her for three hours, Jim took over and this is how I found them this morning. So adorable!! Jim said he was dreaming about how he was dreaming about taking care of Whitney. The background is our driveway.
I think Tucker likes music. The only time that he will play by himself on the floor this week for longer than 5 minutes is when I'm playing the piano. Whitney likes to bang on the piano and be up off the floor where Tucker can't crawl over her or take over her mommy.



So. I have absolutely no idea what happened in church today. It's the beginning of the end, I guess. Now that they no longer nap in public places and skipped morning nap, plus they both know how to crawl and want to feed themselves solid food, it was insane keeping them entertained, but not so entertained that they were getting into everyone else's stuff. How do people do it when they have more kids? Or older kids? No idea, but I guess I'll find out.

This week was wonderful. Lots of wonderful things happened. Like the washer got fixed on Thursday and my neighbor let me borrow her vacuum, even though we have dogs and lots of bark in the house from the movers. It was soooo awesome to have a cleaner floor. It was getting pretty bad. At least the babies "swifter" the place on a daily basis, but I was getting so grossed out with the clumps of dog hair all over their bellies whenever I picked them up. Which increased the amount of clothing that was dirty. Couldn't do much about that for awhile, but on Thursday I could finally do all the loads. The washer had a break down, literally, with all that washing, but at least I got all my loads in before it broke. Now I can go another 10 days, no problem. And it will be better. The floor is better and Whitney keeps getting better at crawling on her hands and knees, so she spends less time swiftering the place.

I also have almost everything put away. That was another great thing about this week. I could actually clean because everything was put away. And I wasn't spending every minute working on things to get settled. So we went sunbathing for 1/2 hours every day. The amount of time that the sun shines on our deck where the babies can crawl. This week has also been mostly sunny, which has helped my mood considerably. I can't believe how much missing the month of August of all things, has affected me. I feel like winter set in too soon. I have always hated the month of August because of the intense heat, but since I missed that intense heat, I guess I didn't get all the vitamin D. That's what all the women around here blame their health problems on, is the lack of vitamin D. Good idea. Don't worry. Maybe I will go on that trip down south to visit Sue and Stefanie like I had planned before we knew we were moving.

Anyway. Most of the time the babies were being cute was on the deck, and I can't leave them and go get the camera, so there aren't many new pics. You'll have to review last weeks. Mostly I'm really excited because I feel like a normal routine can return (except for Sundays of course!) and anyone can come visit now!! We'd love to have you and have the space for just about anyone.

We have also gotten to know our next door neighbor who has been awesome!! She absolutely loves the babies and even got them each a toy as a house warming gift!! She is grandma-age, so it is working out really well. I also found out how close the parks, library and shopping all are. It's getting to start to be a little like home. I found the pictures this week and was looking at the past couple of years. I never thought I'd say it, but I found myself missing Utah. We grew a lot as a couple and went through a lot of things, plus have some great friends there. And I will miss having snow at Christmas, but I'm sure it will work out for us this year as we do things to make it feel like home.

For baby news, Whitney loves to pull to stand and Tucker likes to push and pull drawers open. I guess the high chair and dog dishes were a preview. Whitney had her first taste of a pinecone. She made a face, but didn't spit it out, whatever that means. Their doctor visit went well. Tucker is 28.5" and Whitney is 27.5". The nurse says Tucker weighs 21 pounds and Whitney weighs 19 pounds but I didn't believe it. I went home and weighed them again. According to our scale, Whitney weighs 19 pounds and Tucker weighs 23 pounds. That makes way more sense. I feel like my arm is going to break off whenever I carry Tucker (which is a lot lately as they are going through an "I only want mommy" phase). It also makes sense because Tucker just fits his size 4 diapers and 12 month clothes, most of which say 20-24 pounds. So I'm right because moms are always right. The babies had egg the first time this week. Typical reaction. Whitney devoured it as soon as she knew it was food and Tucker made a face and chewed slowly until he decided it was good, then opened his mouth for more and more and more.

I'll try to get more pics this week. It should be easier because Grandma Kim is coming Friday and Halloween is next week!! So fun!

1 comment:

  1. I am glad it is starting to feel more like home. What a fun neighbor! And yeah for vacuums! Glad Tucker and Whitney are both healthy and growing well. Hope they get over the "mommy only" phase soon! You must have some buff arms! Hope to see some pics of the house soon! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete