Sunday, June 16, 2013

I started this post before Ethan was born.....

Not sleeping super awesome, which does nothing for my memory.  I've decided that's the reason for early senior moments that start when motherhood starts.  lack. of. sleep. consistently.

Anyway, I've probably already written some of this, but am too lazy to re-read previously created blogs.  Did I tell you about the Hello Kitty sheets?

I got Tucker microfiber sheets which feel much smoother than the cotton variety Whitney had.  So Whitney would sit on Tucker's bed to feel them, which was really annoying to him.  Jeremy got Hello Kitty sheets, microfiber style.  Oh dear.  Once we put them on, Tucker was on Whitney's bed.  He really likes Hello Kitty.  A big, huge meow-meow.  The other day he was pretending that Whitney's pillow was the mommy meow- meow talking to his stuffed meow-meow.  And of course, that went over REAL well with Whitney.

Another thing that Tucker has been doing awhile, but I can't remember if I wrote about it is his saying "I want Papa to give me too much" every night.  This is in reference to how much toothpaste is on his toothbrush.  Still makes me smile about it.

Jeremy brought up a story about Laos.  They gave him the food or soda in a bag when he would buy stuff from street vendors.   I never thought about putting soda in a bag.  I guess it works.

They had a ton of fun with Papa.  He's been home way more these past two weeks.  I'm still not used to it.  He built castles with Whitney and the next day she could hardly eat breakfast because she wanted to make some more castles like Papa made.

But it was really cute that Papa left unbroken glow sticks on their beds for them to play with at bedtime when we left the room.

Whitney is starting to get the concept of small, medium and biggest.  She told me had medium muscles compared to Whitney's small ones and Papa's biggest muscles.  I'm excited.  I got upgraded to medium sized muscles.

The whole mimicking my behaviors is very intimidating.  I have to really watch what I'm doing.  And if I don't, I just watch them and see what they are seeing.   I use the word destroyed a lot when I'm talking about what Tucker did (to the toys, etc).  The other day Whitney worked really hard on making her bed.  Tucker went in and took all over her blankets off.  She ran out screaming and said "Tucker DESTROYED my bed".  She has  a bit of flare for the dramatic.

They have this new game that is hilarious.  It's called stinky diaper.  They throw the plastic ping pong ball out of the mesh cup holder of the outdoor chairs by hitting it from the bottom, yell stinky diaper and laugh hysterically.  I don't get it either.

Jeremy bought a power washer.  A necessity around here.  We've ignored that necessity for almost 3 years.  Now if the deck is wet, it is very slippery for the amount of moss that has grown on it. He works on it in little bits.  The other day it rained after not raining for 5 days.  Apparently 5 days is a long time to remember what it looks like when it rains. Whitney looked at the wet deck and said "Why did Papa power wash before he went to work?"  I guess she made that connection because the last time the deck was wet was when he was power washing.

I think she is hoping summer is more exciting here than it is in other places.  She really wants to run around barefoot with shorts and short sleeves on.  She pointed out to me that the leaves were all grown out on the apple tree, "so that means it's summer, Mom".  Meaning, let me wear the summer clothes I just picked out instead of the pants and long sleeves that you insist I need to wear today. Yeah. I know, Whit.  I forget that it is warm in other places, too.

Whitney wanted to make herself with play dough.  Which meant that she wanted me to make her out of play dough.  I made more of a stick figure looking Whitney.  But she fixed it by making herself some hair to put on the head, with a hair bow. 

A really cute picture I wish I could have taken was them wrapped up in their own blankets, playing with their own leap pads on their stomachs on the floor next to each other.

I also wish I could have the camera back to tape record some of the stuff they say.

Tucker calls tater tots "teeter tots".  Did I mention how good he is at serving himself ketchup.  Reality is hitting this house.  Ketchup is a food.  For sure.

Whitney was helping Tucker feel better this week.  He was upset about something for awhile and she really wanted to help him.  She ran to get one of his favorite books to read to him.  Even though reading books cheers her up more than Tucky.  But then she said " I know what cheers him up.  Stinky diaper!"  and he started laughing.  She was right!  He keeps asking her to hold her hand to cheer him  up, but she found another way.

Another time we found Whitney pinned down by Tucker.  She was screaming bloody murder again and saying "tucker said I'm a dragon, but I'M NOT A DRAGON!"  It comes from the book Alexander and the Dragon.  They both like to run around and say "come out dragon or I'll BASH you!"  Apparently Tucker was playing pretend that Whitney was the dragon and wasn't coming out of her room, so he bashed her.    Aaagghh! I thought reading books was a good idea.  I have to really watch the books I pick for them!

Oatmeal is not Whitney's favorite breakfast food.  We have it a bit much for her.  It's my fall back breakfast, which happens a lot.  Tucker loves it.  Anyway, in order for her to finish eating enough for her to have a "full and happy tummy", she asks me to feed her.  Obviously it tastes better with raisins in the bite.  She usually picks out the top raisins, then asks me to feed her.  The other day she handed over the bowl to me, but then spotted a raisin shadow at the bottom of the bowl and told me "Dig here!" as she pointed to the spot.

Her Papa decided it was a good idea to put the flat Hello Kitty sheet on her bed.  He asked why I didn't have one on.  I told him it was because I didn't want another bed to make.  If I'm going to put on covers, they will have to make their own beds, then.  Whitney loved it.  That night she said she didn't need burritos or tacos because now she could have a sandwich instead.

Making the bed every morning has been a bit of a challenge, though.  Tucker is actually a little better at making his bed when reminded.

Saturday we decided that we are a family living in the pacific northwest and need to go out in this "summer" weather of ours.  We went to the beach.  Completely waterproof.  Tucker made "water pies" (adding sand to a bucket of water), threw rocks in the water, and filled and re-filled a bucket that had a huge crack in the bottom.  Looked a bit more like a spout.  Tucker still soaked himself completely through.  But the sun did come out for the last 2 hours and so we celebrated by opening all the windows in the car.  Whitney got a bit chilly.  The air wasn't warm.  She said "I don't like being cold.  Not one little bit". 

They played pretend to look at the stars.  This also comes from the book Tell me Again About the Night I was Born.  The last page is the family laying down to look at the stars.  They pretended their room was the house and the hallway was "outside".  They wrapped themselves up in their blankets burrito style and laid on the floor looking up at the florecent light bulbs.

Some other invented games include playing bunk beds on the coffee table.  One kid sleeps on top, one on the shelf below.  This game gave me a bit of a start because when I walked in the room, they were both pretending to sleep and it being on a table and all, Tucker looked dead.  Not a pleasant thought.  They play "bounce" which means filling up their toy kitchen pots with small toys and bouncing the pans so all the toys come flying out.  At least they are old enough to pick up the toys again, although clean up at night gets a little long.  They also play "crack egg open" by taking all the small toys round easter egg like shell and hitting it with a toy so it opens up.

A friend of mine was wondering which child would assume the middle child role.  Really?  It's a question?  Anyway, Tucker has already found someone to blame.  Baby Tucker.  If he breaks something or destroys something, he says Baby Tucker did it, like he did it a year and a half or longer ago.

Tucker was discussing how the toilets at Costco don't work (not true, he just was saying that so he didn't have to sit on a self flushing toilet).  So Whitney's solution?  And I quote: "Jeremy will have to fix them". 



No comments:

Post a Comment